+33(0) 960 411 335

French classes in Marseille : How to get a visa to study at the Marseille International School

How to get a visa to study at the Marseille International School

French class in Marseille

Enrolling as a foreign student at a French institution of higher education such as Ecole Internationale de Marseille, carries with it the same requirements as French students.

If you do not have a French secondary school diploma, you must be granted access to higher education in your home country.


There are different types of visas for studying in Ecole Internationale de Marseille, France.


Short-stay visas, "Schengen" visas, which allow the holder to move freely between Schengen area countries:


- Short-stay student visas allow people who wish to come learn French in France at EIMarseille to stay up to 90 days (3 months). This visa is non-renewable, free for students, and it provides the holder with a residence card (titre de séjour). Applicants should contact the French embassy or a French consulate in their country.


Documents required for obtaining a short-stay visa to study French at Marseille International School:

  •       application form, completed and signed
  •       a valid, biometric passport
  •       an identification format photo

Other documents may also be required:

  •       proof of income
  •       proof of accommodation
  •       a cover letter
  •       travel health insurance with a minimum coverage of € 30,000


This visa does not authorize you to work in France and EIMarseille will not encourage you to do so.






Long-stay visas are for those who wish to stay longer than 90 days.

Within two months of their arrival in France, holders of this visa must register with the French Office for Immigration and Integration (OFII), or, in some cases, at the local prefecture that is responsible for issuing their residence card. We at EIMarseille will tell you precisely where to go in Marseille.


- The temporary long-stay student visa permits a foreigner to study at a public or private institution of higher education for 3 to 6 months. This visa is not renewable.


- The long-stay student visa is granted to foreign students wishing to pursue their studies in a public or private higher education institution for a period of 6 months or more. Ecole Internationale de Marseille, Marseille International School is a private higher education language school in Marseille certified for TCF and TOEIC exam.

This visa generally lasts one year and is also renewable.


At the time the visa is issued, the consulate or embassy also issues an OFII (French Office for Immigration and Integration) certification application with a note explaining your status.

To validate your residence card upon arriving in France, you will need to send the following to OFII by registered post with acknowledgement due:

  •       the OFII certification application that the consulate will have provided you with

(You can download this document OFII’s website)

  •       a copy of the first page of your passport and the pages with the stamp certifying your entry into France (or the Schengen area).

The address for OFII for the county of Les Bouches du Rhône (13):

Direction territoriale de l’OFII

61 boulevard Rabatau

13295 MARSEILLE Cedex 08

 This address is few blocks away from EIMarseille, Marseille International School which is located on 32 la Canebière, 13001 Marseille.

OFII will then send you a confirmation of receipt at the address you provided and then require you to undergo a medical examination (if you have not already) or a home visit in the first three months of your stay.

For this, you should come with:

  •       your passport
  •       An identification format photo
  •       proof of residence in France
  •       a medical certificate (if you underwent a medical examination before you left your home country)
  •       the appropriate amount for taxation; 58 € in fiscal stamps (timbres fiscaux).


Fiscal stamps can be purchased at:

  •       directly online at www.timbresofii.fr
  •       in certain tobacco shops
  •       at tax services centers


You will be allowed to work with this visa within the limit of 964 hours/year or 60% of full time.

Marseille International School, Ecole Internationale de Marseille is well known in the area, as such, we will help you find a part time job and/or an internship here in Marseille. That is why you need to be at least a B1 level in French in order to accomplish such endeavor. But at Marseille international School we will help you to get there!

For all types of visas, your passport must have a period of validity which exceeds the duration of your stay.

Depending on the case, your visa may allow for one, two, or multiple entries into the Schengen Area.

With this visa, you can move freely within the Schengen area.


If you or a family member is a citizen of an EU member country or Switzerland, you may be subject to special formalities or a visa exemption. Check this article:



You can find out more by clicking on this link to the France Diplomacy website.



Further information Here.